A proper exfoliation removes the dead skin cells from the face, leaving fresh, smooth skin in its place. As you get older, your skin is less able to remove those dead cells itself, sometimes leaving dry, flaky skin. No matter what skin type you are, oily, dry, or somewhere in between, make sure to exfoliate to remove that dead skin, which helps your skin absorb moisturizers, prevents future breakouts, and helps you achieve beautiful, glowing skin.
Why Should You Exfoliate?
When done right, a good exfoliation:
- Removes dead cells
- Clears clogged pores
- Helps skin absorb moisturizers
- Prevents future breakouts
- Fades acne scars and old blemishes
- Smooths wrinkles
What’s the Best Way to Exfoliate?
The best exfoliators depend on what your face needs. There are many different types of exfoliators, from physical scrubs to chemical masks. While most of these work, it’s important to choose one that works best for your skin. If you don’t exfoliate enough, you risk having dry, flaky skin. If you exfoliate too much, your skin may become red, irritated, and damaged. Here are the two main types of exfoliators:
- Chemical Exfoliator.Contrary to what it sounds like, chemical exfoliators are a great option for those with sensitive skin. Choose a gentle exfoliator with glycolic, salicylic, or lactic acid if you have excessively dry skin, oily skin, or are prone to breakout.
- Physical Scrub.Some exfoliators have small beads or other abrasive materials to help remove dead skin. If you’re worried about having chemicals on your face, there are many natural options, such as oatmeal, baking soda, fruit pits, or nuts that can have the same effect as a chemical exfoliator. When looking for a physical scrub, choose one with finer particles so you can remove the dead skin cells without damaging fresh skin cells.
To achieve the best results, make sure that you only use one type of exfoliator. If you use both a chemical exfoliator and a physical scrub, you are probably exfoliating too much, which can damage your skin and cause breakouts and dry, flaky skin.
How Often Should You Exfoliate Your Face?
Everyone’s skin is different, so there’s no real answer for the right amount to exfoliate. A good rule to follow is to exfoliate once a week. If your face becomes irritated after one exfoliation, choose a different product and try again. If your skin is notoriously dry, you might need to exfoliate more than once a week, but don’t exfoliate more than three times a week.
Is it Possible to Exfoliate Too Much?
Common signs that you’ve exfoliated too much are dry, flaky skin, breakouts, and red, irritated skin. Don’t worry! It is possible to restore your skin to how it was before. If you’ve exfoliated too much, the best thing you can do is stop using exfoliators until your skin heals. You can also use gentle creams and cleansers to keep your skin clean and moisturized during the healing process.
When your skin has healed enough to start using exfoliators again, make sure to limit what you use and how often you use it. If you are using a more abrasive exfoliator, make sure to only use it once a week. If you want to exfoliate more than once a week, switch to a gentler method of exfoliation.
If you’re someone who wants to know how to best care for skin, check out our esthetics program! You can learn about proper skin care, facials, makeup, and more!