Here at Montana Academy of Salons, we love esthetics! We believe in careers that help people glow! Esthetics, like other beauty careers, can be one of the most rewarding jobs you can have. If you’re ready for a career you’ll love, learn how to become an esthetician in Montana! Here is what you’ll need to do:
- Complete 650 hours in a training program.
- Pass NIC licensing exams, both written and practical.
- Submit your license and exam application.
- Get to work!
- LOVE your job!
Complete 650 Hours
Montana Academy of Salons offers a 650 hour course on esthetics. You can learn:
- Bacteriology, sterilization, sanitation, and other safety procedures.
- Massage, skincare, cosmetics, lash extensions, exfoliation, and other esthetic techniques and skills.
- And more!
We also offer an additional Microdermabrasion Course that is 50 hours!
Our esthetics course meets the Montana State Standards of which at least 65 hours is in theory, distributed as follows and taught in English. Our microdermabrasion class also meets Montana State Standards of which at least 25 hours is in theory as follows and taught in English.
For tuition information, please see the program page.
Pass the National Interstate Council of State Boards of Cosmetology (NIC) Exams
You must pass the written and practical portions of the NIC with 75% or higher. For more information on the licensing exams, see the NIC website!
Submit Your Licensing and Exam Application
You must be at least 18 years of age, have a high school diploma or GED, and follow through with these steps:
- Submit application.
- Provide birth certificate or driver’s license.
- Attach high school transcripts (or equivalent).
- Provide diploma from esthetician school.
- Pay $80 application fee.
The board will review your application. If you qualify, you will receive notification of your eligibility to take the national exams! For more information on what the state of Montana requires for your licensing, check out their site!
Get to Work!
Once you are licensed, you can apply for jobs! To get ready for job applications and interviews, try using these tips:
- Practice interviewing with a friend or family member.
- Create both a digital and printed portfolio of your best work.
- Write a resume. There are tons of online tools that can help you. Have a someone read it over.
- Create professional social media accounts. Make an Instagram, Facebook page, and other social media accounts using your professional name. Post pictures of your work and repost pictures from happy clients!
Licensed, well-qualified estheticians may be able to have one of these great jobs!
- Brow specialist
- Lash artist
- Facial specialist
- Microdermabrasion specialist
- Salon manager
- Makeup artist
- Many more!
LOVE Your Job!
Can’t you just tell when someone loves what they do? Their happiness radiates out of them and into the space around them. When you love your job, it makes a difference in your life, your client’s lives, and in the lives of everyone around you. You’ll spend a lot of time working. We believe that you should enjoy every possible second!